2018 Suzuki V-STROM 1000
Introduced in 2002, the V-Strom 1000 expanded the popularity of motorcycles in the adventure-category. When a more proficient V-Strom 1000 debuted in 2014, it was also embraced by riders around the world. To reemphasize the V-Strom’s leadership in this category, Suzuki applies new technology and practical experience to the new 2018 V-Strom 1000.
Always a good citizen, this new V-Strom has refined systems to maintain engine performance and great fuel economy while achieving world-wide emission standards. To emphasize Suzuki’s adventure heritage the V-Strom’s exterior has undergone a transformation giving the motorcycle a hint of its lineage and a renewed call for adventure. That fresh styling also contributes to functionality and joins the new Motion Track Anti-lock* & Combined Brake System and other features to bring rider assist technology to a new group of adventure riders.
Like every V-Strom before it, the appeal and value of the 2018 V-Strom 1000 will be recognized by experienced and enthusiastic riders. If you want to enjoy a trouble-free adventure as well, join them on a V-Strom.
- Liquid-cooled, 1037cc, 90-degree V-Twin engine delivers strong engine performance while achieving world-wide emissions requirements without any reduction in horsepower.
- A new, five-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) provides vehicle spacial information to the innovative Motion Track Anti-lock* & Combined Brake System.
- Refined multi-function, illumination-adjustable instrument panel delivers a wide range of vehicle information and aids in selecting the Suzuki Traction Control* system modes.
- Sturdy chassis has integrated mounting points for unified Suzuki V-Strom luggage that’s is easy to clip on and off, and keeps the motorcycle trim when ready for touring.
- The V-Strom’s Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)* has been updated with Suzuki’s new Motion Track & Combination Brake System. This system aids rider control during sudden braking, even in corners, and will help the rider continue cornering on the originally intended line.
- This advanced ABS system adjusts brake pressure during upright riding with other pressure adjustments when the motorcycle is leaning to either side, so the stopping force matches the available traction.
- Information about the motorcycle’s attitude is continually measured by a BOSCH five-axis IMU. Sensors on the front and rear wheels continually measure speed. The wheel speed and IMU measurements, plus the amount of brake lever or pedal pressure, are calculated by the ABS control unit to instantly adjust the fluid pressure to the brake calipers as required.
- Additionally, this combination system can apply rear brake pressure when the front brake pressure reaches a certain point to help stabilize the vehicle. This contributes to increase stability and maneuverability during cornering.
- The rider has customary, independent control of the front and rear brakes unless a situation occurs to activate the Anti-lock or combination braking features.
- Thanks to the new, advanced ABS control unit, the amount of kickback from anti-lock function to the lever and pedal has been significantly reduced.
- Suzuki’s debuted its first motorcycle traction control system** on the V-Strom 1000 ABS, which enables the rider to control the throttle with more confidence in a variety of riding conditions.
- The traction control system continuously monitors front and rear wheel speeds, throttle opening, engine speed, and transmission gear. It quickly reduces engine output when it detects wheel spin by adjusting ignition timing and air delivery.
- The rider can select one of three modes (1, 2, and OFF). Modes 1 and 2 differ in terms of sensitivity. Mode 1 has lower sensitivity; it allows a certain degree of rear wheel spin for good road conditions. Mode 2 has higher sensitivity; the system engages traction control sooner and is for poor road conditions.
- The four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 1037cc 90-degree V-twin engine is designed to deliver outstanding performance across the entire powerband.
- The perfect primary balance provided by the 90-degree L-twin design negates the need for any balancer shafts or rubber mounting as the engine has smooth power pulses.
- Pistons were engineered with use of FEM analysis to achieve ideal rigidity and weight.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)-plated cylinder bores are integrated into the upper crankcase for low weight, increased durability, reduced friction and excellent heat dissipation.
- Twin throttle bodies with Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) system contribute to better throttle response and torque at the low-to-mid RPM range, while still producing peak performance.
- The EFI system employs 10-hole injectors on each throttle body to improve fuel atomization for superior combustion efficiency and frugal fuel consumption.
- Advanced 32-bit ECM also operates the Automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) which improves cold starting and stabilizes the engine idle.
- The refined, single-silencer exhaust configuration reduces weight and has a lower center of gravity to enhance handling and maneuverability.
- Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) servo-controlled butterfly valve in the exhaust mid-pipe helps enhance torque, response and acceleration, especially at low-to-mid rpm range.
- The new exhaust has a pair of inline catalyzers, up from a single catalyzer in the prior model, to achieve an effective level of emission control in the while maintaining flow to preserve engine performance.
- Updated to match the exhaust changes, the Suzuki Pulsed-secondary AIR-injection (PAIR) system injects fresh air into the exhaust ports to satisfy a variety of US and international emission standards without sacrificing any performance.
- State-of-the-art transistorized digital ignition system contributes to a more complete combustion by igniting the mixture at the ideal moment.
- Twin iridium type spark plugs are fitted to each cylinder to provide a more condensed and hotter spark yet last longer than convention plugs.
- The output of the six-speed, close-ratio transmission is managed by the Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS). This system works like a slipper clutch by allowing a small amount of clutch slip to enable smooth down shifts. It also works as an assist clutch to make the lever easier to pull.
- A bold new fairing design is achieved by a straight styling line from the tip of its beak back to the fuel tank. This is a sharp and aggressive refinement of the Suzuki DR-Big inspired appearance.
- The height- and angle-adjustable windscreen has a new shape and is 49mm taller. The windscreen was developed through extensive wind-tunnel testing to reduce wind noise and rider fatigue. Suzuki’s patented mechanism allows the windscreen angle to be easily adjusted by hand.
- The advanced chassis is the foundation of a compact, lightweight adventure-ready package that provides comfort and enjoyment to a variety of riders.
- The aluminum, twin-spar frame was designed with the latest FEM analysis technology. It is stiffer and 13% lighter than that of the previous generation V-Strom.
- The fuel tank keeps its 5.3 gallon capacity but the back portion has been slimmed where it joins the seat for increased rider comfort. The sides of seat use a high-grip texture cover.
- The V-Strom’s slender chassis, thanks to the narrow V-twin engine design and new thin seat, helps the rider’s legs to reach to the ground easier than other models in the class.
- 43mm KYB inverted front forks provide a sporty yet plush ride in diverse conditions. The front forks have fully adjustable spring preload plus compression and rebound damping force.
- The single-shock, link-style rear suspension features rebound damping force adjustment plus remote, hand-operated spring pre-load adjuster.
- Tokico mono-block front brake calipers are mated with 310mm floating-mount dual discs are connected to the new Motion Track Anti-lock & Combination Brake system for strong stopping performance.
- Lightweight 10-spoke cast-aluminum wheels (manufactured for Suzuki by Enkei) combine nimble handling with sporty looks.
- Handguards with larger handlebar vibration damper weights and a lower engine protector are now standard.
- The charging system uses a durable, three-phase stator with an open-style regulator/rectifier that reduces mechanical drag and heat while producing higher output at lower engine speeds.
- The refined instruments include an analogue tachometer and a brightness-adjustable LCD speedometer. LCD readouts include an odometer, dual trip meters, the gear position, the coolant and ambient temperatures, the voltage, the riding range, the average fuel consumption, the instantaneous fuel consumption, the traction control mode, a fuel gauge, and a clock.
- LED indicators include ABS and Traction Control alerts, plus a freeze warning icon. This alert, together with the air temperature display, warns of possible icy road conditions.
- The rider can switch between traction control modes and LCD readings using the left handlebar switch. The left switch can now reset the trip meter using the left handlebar switch.
- 12V DC outlet is conveniently located below the instrument panel. The SAE socket is ideal for powering a GPS unit or charging mobile devices.
- The bright, halogen 65/55W headlights have the distinctive vertical configuration seen on the Hayabusa and GSX-R sportbikes.
- Rear tail and brake light uses LEDs, which offer higher visibility and greater durability than bulbs.
- The turn signals use bright, incandescent amber bulbs with clear lenses for superb visibility in traffic.
- A wide variety of Genuine Suzuki Accessories for V-Strom owners are available including luggage, heated grips, auxiliary lights, high and low profile seats, case guards, and a large selection of Suzuki logo apparel.
- Additional lock tumblers that match the bike’s ignition key are included so you can add Suzuki accessory luggage and have the convenience of one-key operation.
- 12-month limited warranty. Additional length coverage and other benefits are available through Suzuki Extended Protection.
- Engine: 1037cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC 90-deg. V-Twin
- Bore x Stroke: 100.0 mm x 66.0 mm (3.937 in. x 2.598 in.)
- Compression Ratio: 11.3 : 1
- Fuel System: Suzuki Fuel injection, SDTV-equipped
- Starter: Electric
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Transmission: 6-speed constant mesh
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate type
- Suspension Front: Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
- Suspension Rear: Link type, single shock, coil spring, oil damped
- Brakes Front: Tokico 4-piston calipers, Disc, twin
- Brakes Rear: Nissin, 2-piston, Disc single
- Tires Front: 110/80R-19 M/C 59V, tubeless
- Tires Rear: 150/70R-17 M/C 69V, tubeless
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 20.0 L (5.3 US gal.)
- Color: Pearl Glacier White
- Ignition: Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
- Headlight: 12V 65W (H9 high-beam) & 12V 55W (H7 low-beam)
- Tail Light: LED
- Overall Length: 2280 mm (89.8 in.)
- Overall Width: 930 mm (36.6 in.)
- Overall Height: 1470 mm (57.9 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1555 mm (61.2 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 165 mm (6.5 in.)
- Seat Height: 850 mm (33.5 in.)
- Curb Weight: 232 kg (511 lbs.)
- Warranty: 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty. Coverage extension and additional benefits are available.
- Engine Type
- 4-stroke, DOHC 90-deg. V-Twin
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.937 in. x 2.598 in. (100.0 mm x 66.0 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- 11.3 : 1
- Fuel System
- Suzuki Fuel injection, SDTV-equipped
- Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
- 6-speed constant mesh
- Front Suspension
- Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
- Rear Suspension
- Link type, single shock, coil spring, oil damped
- Front Brakes
- Tokico 4-piston calipers, Disc, twin
- Rear Brakes
- Nissin, 2-piston, Disc single
- Front Tire
- 110/80R-19 M/C 59V, tubeless
- Rear Tire
- 150/70R-17 M/C 69V, tubeless
- 61.2 in. (1555 mm)
- Seat Height
- 33.5 in. (850 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.3 US gal. (20.0 L)
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 511 lb. (232 kg)
- Pearl Glacier White
- 12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty